No Local Fee Increase, Small National Fee Increases
The value of Scouting is undeniable for those within the program and the greater public, and the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is committed to continuing to offer this unmatched opportunity to young people and families nationwide.
As costs on many daily goods and services continue to rise dramatically, the BSA has worked to keep its membership fee as low as possible. However, these external pressures continue to have an effect, and the annual membership fee must be increased to address the fiscal realities necessary to continue delivering a safe and quality Scouting program.
To ensure the organization has the resources to fulfill the promise of Scouting, the following national membership fee structure will take effect August 1, 2022.
- $75 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts participants ($3 increase)
- $12 Council fees (no change in cost)
- $45 for Exploring participants (no change in cost)
- $30 for council-paid memberships (no change in cost)
- $45 for all adult volunteers (no change in cost, includes cost of background check)
- $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee ($25 increase)
- $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts (Not pro-rated, no change in cost)
- $15 for Scout Life magazine; this is the first price increase since 2005 ($3 increase)
The national membership fee helps cover the cost of essential services, including program resources, liability insurance for those participating in approved Scouting activities, criminal background checks, youth protection, and the development of intellectual property for national, council, and unit programs. As BSA moves forward, the organization will continue to look at the membership fee structure and how we deliver the Scouting program for future generations.
The Cascade Pacific Council fee covers local insurance for camps and Scout units.
Across the country and in each of our communities, we know that Scouting remains one of the most valuable investments we can make in youth today so they can become the leaders we will turn to tomorrow.
Our dedicated volunteers, staff, and Scouting families make this possible. Thank you for continuing to support one of the most valuable opportunities available to young people today.