Charter RenewalYour step-by-step tutorial for renewing your charter.
New Web-based charter renewal system starting October 15, 2021
The Boy Scouts of America now offers an online charter renewal process for units. Recently, this process was moved to improve systems and increase speed and efficiency in processes. Located at https://advancements.scouting.org, the new Internet Recharter system provides a more simplistic approach to the rechartering process and can be completed from start to finish without a single piece of paper changing hands.
Step 1: Download the user guide and watch the overview.
Step 2: Ensure everyone is registered before starting the online charter renewal
Step 2 is very important. It ensures that all persons are listed when you begin online renewal, which will make the process MUCH simpler and easier!
- Obtain a current roster. The unit roster can be printed from my.scouting, or can be obtained from your district commissioner or district executive.
- Review the roster for any missing youth or adults.
- Collect membership applications for any missing youth or adults.
- This can be done with paper applications or through the online membership application process at beascout.org.
- Collect the right fees – ensure that you collect fees for the months that the person is active in 2021, PLUS the full 2022 fees. See the chart below for pro-rate amounts.
- Questions? Contact your district commissioner or district executive.
- Turn in all applications.
- Wait a day or two for online applications to process, and a few days for paper applications to be manually processed.
- Obtain a fresh roster to ensure new persons are registered before proceeding to Step 3.
Step 3: Begin the online charter renewal process
- Access the Online Charter Renewal System: https://advancements.scouting.org/login
- Access the system by using your my.scouting or Scoutbook username and password (Do NOT use create an account. This will create a duplicate account. If you have problems logging in, please contact the Council).
- Be prepared to PAY ONLINE. You are encouraged to pay online.
Please contact your district executive with questions.
Connect with Us
Key dates for the charter renewal process
October: Online system activated October 15, 2021
Important notes for the charter renewal process
Youth Protection Training is required. Current and new adults will not be registered without first completing Youth Protection training. Youth protection certificates are valid for two years and are required for all registered leaders.
Adult applications are required for ALL new adults or youth participants ages 18 and up. An adult application with the additional disclosure background check authorization form and Youth Protection Training Certificate are required in order to be registered. This standard is to ensure that all persons legally considered to be adults are able to meet adult membership requirements.
Helpful resources from the National Council:
Frequently Asked Questions – a list of common questions about the online charter process and system.
Membership Application Forms – source to download youth and adult membership applications, Annual Charter Agreement and New Unit Application also used to change Executive Officer and/or Organization.
Journey To Excellence Forms – source to download Journey to Excellence scorecards and other materials related to the Journey to Excellence program