NATIONAL YOUTH LEADERSHIP TRAINING
NYLT gives youth the knowledge, skills and confidence to lead.
NYLT 2020 Has Been Cancelled
Cascade Pacific Council has been carefully studying the very fluid COVID-19 situation to ensure that our campsand programs are safe for all involved. We have sought advice from our council risk management committeeand a special volunteer task group made up of physicians, safety professionals, and others who have provided expert advice. After much consideration, we have decided to cancel NYLT this year.
We hope that you will join us next year for NYLT!
There may be a Fall opportunity to attend also and we will send out communication to you if that comes to fruition.
Refunds will be returned via the payment method used. If there was a credit card payment made over 120 days ago that will have to be refunded via check. If the registration was made in a Unit account a check will be sent to the Unit Committee Chair.
If you have additional questions, please contact Carrie Hutchcraft at 503.225.5726 or email@example.com
NYLT is a premier youth leadership training course for Scouts and Venturers. NYLT offers exciting, action-based program designed to provide youth members of the BSA with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
NYLT Eligibility Requirements
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Recordform parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts must be 13 years of age and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program registration. They must be a first class Scout and have completed introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to LeadershipSkills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation. Unit leaders are asked to complete a survey on the participant’s Scout character and Scout skills so the NYLT staff can better prepare for the course.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW, and what a leader must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership. These learning objectives are integrated with those of Wood Badge, so troops that send Scouts to NYLT and adults to Wood Badge will find they work better together because they’ve learned similar concepts and leadership skills.
About the NYLT Course
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
NYLT Unit Scholarship Details
- The first two Scoutmaster-approved youth signed up for NYLT in each Scout unit will receive a $125.00 scholarship. Scoutmasters may submit their approval to Carrie Hutchcraft at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This scholarship applies to the first two youth only and cannot be spread across multiple reservations. The NYLT scholarship is for Cascade Pacific Council youth only.
- Scholarships are applied after the initial registration is made.
- If a Scout that has received a scholarship cannot attend, the scholarship will pass to the next approved scout in the unit registered (if applies). Non-refundable fees will follow the same schedule as outlined in the refund policy.
- This scholarship may not be combined with the NYLT Girls Scholarship.
- Camp Scholarships: Families that need assistance attending camp may click fill out a Camp Scholarship Application. Cascade Pacific Council youth may apply for assistance for one (1) Resident Camp, Day Camp, NYLT or Horse Trek per year.
$250 NYLT Girls Scholarship
Cascade Pacific Council is excited to announce that $250 scholarships available for girls attending the National Youth Leadership Training. Please see eligibility requirements above. This scholarship may not be combined with the NYLT Unit Scholarship. Scholarships will be applied after reservation is made.